Diet plays an important role for people living with diabetes. You must include nutritious food and, at the same time, be aware of the carbohydrate intake. There are some foods that you can add to your meals without the worry of increasing your blood sugar levels. Some of them also control your blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity. A diabetes reversal program can provide you with the best nutritional and diet chart. Read on to learn about what foods diabetics can eat freely.
Fruits are not only tasty but packed with healthy nutrients for diabetes patients. Following are some of the most nutritional fruits that diabetics can eat freely:
- Blueberries are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; so are strawberries. You can add strawberries to yoghurt and enjoy it.
- Peaches and apricots also contain a good amount of vitamins and antioxidants.
- Oranges contain folate and potassium that help to control your blood sugar.
- Kiwi is rich in vitamin C, improves immunity, and is also good for people with diabetes. It is advisable to eat the whole fruit instead of consuming fruit juices.
- Vegetables and Greens
Following is a list of all the green vegetables that diabetics can eat freely as a part of their balanced daily diet:
- Spinach has almost no carbs and is rich in fibre and protein. You can eat boiled spinach, add spinach to your salads to make them healthier, and drink spinach soup to reap the benefits of spinach.
- Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, potassium, and vitamin C, beneficial for people living with diabetes. Tomatoes can be eaten raw by adding them to your salads and sandwiches.
- Peas can help get rid of toxins from your body as they are packed with antioxidants and catechins. These antioxidants and catechins also help to maintain blood sugar levels. Include peas in your breakfast recipes, curries, and gravies to make them healthier.
- Mushrooms are a great choice for people with diabetes. They contain vitamins A, K, and C that assist in managing weight and in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Broccoli is low in carbs and improves insulin resistance. They can be added to salads or eaten as a vegetable side dish with your lunch.
- Carrots are non-starchy and can be a good addition to your diet. Carrots contain beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and fibre that help manage blood sugar levels.
Lentils are packed with proteins. They are rich in nutrients, including zinc, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins. Lentils help in controlling your appetite and cholesterol. Diabetics can freely eat foods, including lentils, for breakfast or lunch on a daily basis.
- Lean meat
Fishes are an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids. Fish contain vitamins D and B12. They are good one of the best foods that diabetics can freely eat, and they are easy to cook. You must add them to your meal for a balanced diet. You can also add chicken to your diet; however, you should avoid red meat as it contains harmful fats and can cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
Beans are plant-based proteins packed with essential minerals, antioxidants, and fibre. They contain complex carbohydrates that get slowly digested and release sugars slowly into the bloodstream. This process helps in maintaining blood sugar levels. Beans promote healthy bacteria in the gut. Being low in glycemic index, it is an important food that diabetics can eat freely. Kidney beans and black beans are good for blood sugar control. You can add beans to your salads, soups, and your favourite curries.
- Brown Rice
The essential nutrients stay intact in brown rice, making it an essential food that diabetics can eat freely. Brown rice is rich in fibre and is gluten-free. Brown rice can easily replace white rice in any rice delicacy. You can add brown rice to your lunch and dinner recipes.
Eggs are a great source of protein, and diabetics can eat them freely without worrying about their blood sugar levels. Eggs are so versatile; they can make any dish taste delicious. You can simply eat a boiled egg, an omelette, or an egg salad with some veggies to tackle your hunger pangs.
- Oatmeal breakfast
Oatmeal provides a range of health benefits and is one of the best breakfast foods that diabetics can freely eat. The high fibre content in oatmeal regulates your blood sugar levels. It helps to lower cholesterol and, therefore, oatmeal is heart-friendly. Oatmeal improves digestion and is a good source of energy. Add some strawberries and blueberries to oatmeal to start your day with a delicious breakfast.
Nuts are a rich source of protein, fibre, and unsaturated fats. They promote ‘good’ cholesterol.” They are good for your heart health. Nuts, such as almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and pistachios, assist in stabilising blood sugar levels. Since these nuts contain fats, it is advisable to eat nuts minimally. A nutritionist with a diabetes reversal program can advise on the right amount of nuts you can consume in a day.
Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your diet plans. Registering for a diabetes reversal program would help make the right dietary changes. Eat plenty of green vegetables, fresh fruits, lentils, whole grains, and nuts to control your blood sugar levels. Keep a list of what foods diabetics can eat freely. Remember to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Exercise regularly, go for a walk and practice yoga and meditation to remove the effects of stress. Consider a diabetes reversal program that provides simple eating tips and helps you reduce dependency on medications to control blood sugar levels.