While the origins of the electric blanket remain unclear, there is no denying that it is a comforting source of warmth that is gaining popularity around the world.
Surprisingly, like many popular electronic devices today, heated throw blankets were first developed in the early 1900s! However, they were crude, unsafe, and imperfect, which impeded their development and progress over the course of the 20th century.
Traditionally, these devices have been popular in the United Kingdom and across Europe but in recent years, have become a valued commodity in the USA and even parts of Asia!
We’ve all faced the bitter cold before, haven’t we?
Lying awake at night, rubbing hands and feet together for some much-needed warmth, snuggled up under two, even three different blankets and quilts.
The traditional protection against the frigid winters, such as fires, thermostats, heaters, and comforters have had a fantastic run and served humanity well but it’s clearly time to move onto better and more effective alternatives. That doesn’t mean we discard these sources of heat and warmth completely.
Heaters and thermostats are still extremely effective. However, it is at night, when people are, that the practicality of these sources diminishes.
How do Electric Blankets Work?
The most common problem with heat sources is that there is an absence of consistency. Fires lose their potency as the minute’s tick by, while heaters and thermostats require adjusting and regulating.
This becomes a problem at night when people wish to get peaceful and uninterrupted sleep. Practical. The words sum up what an electric blanket is all about.
These devices combine modern technology with the practicality of traditional, older quilts, and the comforting heat of a fireplace to give you a unique product that is the ultimate winter tool!
Electric blankets are basically regular quilts with insulated wiring lining the interior. When connected to an electric power source, they use electricity to produce heat, which remains trapped inside the insulating material of the blanket!
The Benefits of Electric Blankets:
The biggest benefit of an electric blanket is its constant source of heat and warmth, especially during the night while you’re asleep. Electric blankets contain timers and regulators and as a result, do not need to be adjusted over the course of the night, offering uninterrupted sleep. Electric blankets are extremely versatile and can serve different purposes. There are two types of electric blankets
- Electric under blanket is placed beneath the mattress and heats up the entire bed. It is well-suited for families and large-sized beds. Under blankets are effective but less convenient and are difficult to shift from one bed to another as the mattress must be removed to extract the under the blanket.
- Electric over blankets are more convenient, can be moved around easily and are perfect for personal use, as they can be wrapped around and used while sitting in various positions as well as while sleeping.
The advantages of an electric blanket include –
- A wide range of adjustable settings for temperature and time, designed to offer maximum comfort, with minimal fuss.
- Can be placed underneath the mattress as well, in order to heat up your entire bed and increased warmth!
- The long wiring makes it convenient to move it around and shift it from one mattress to another without much effort.
- A constant and consistent source of warmth that is close to your body and does not lose intensity or become stiflingly hot overnight.
Are electric blankets safe?
While the effectiveness and usefulness of blankets have never been in doubt, the question marks over safety are why it took so long for heated throw blankets to become a daily use household commodity. Fortunately, electric blankets are amongst the most thoroughly and carefully tested electronic devices and are put through a variety of strict tests to ensure that they meet the highest of safety standards.
The safety measures of an electric heat blanket include –
- Insulated material and wiring. This minimizes the risk of fire due to temperature or current leakage.
- Automatic stop feature that controls the temperature. In case of an excessive rise in temperature, it cuts the power and the blanket switches off
- The newer models of electric blankets are equipped with timers that can set cycles and allow you to sleep without worrying about turning the device off.
- Waterproof material. high-quality electric blankets are waterproof to prevent liquids from reaching the internal wires.
- Carbon fibre. This material is one of the safest and is used in cars and is far less susceptible to catch fire.
The careful designing, perfected after years of testing and trials, guarantees that electric heated blankets have no real risk of electric or fire hazard.
How To Use An Electric Blanket?
Despite all the benefits and safety measures and features, electric blankets MUST be used correctly and carefully, for your protection as well as the longevity on the device.
Tips on how to maintain an electric blanket –
- Do not leave your electric heat blanket on for extended hours, especially when it is not in use.
- Do not crumple an electric blanket as this can damage the internal wiring of your device. Always fold it neatly.
- Even though it is waterproof, do not bring your heated blanket in contact with fluids and liquids.
- Follow the washing instructions very carefully. NEVER dry clean an electric blanket.
- Avoid layering two electric blankets on top of each other. You can use an electric blanket underneath or on top of your regular quilt, comforter, duval or mattress.
The best electric heated blanket is an economical and effective option that can serve entire families. The winter season is harsh on the body and getting adequate rest at night is important. The body exerts energy and effort while trying to keep warm and heat is essential for your peace of mind. While purchasing an electric blanket, choose a brand new piece that is in perfect condition and undamaged. Do not put your safety at risk by choosing an unbranded or damaged product. Use these devices properly and enjoy a safe and healt