Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone. This hormone serves different functions in the male body, including developing and maintaining libido, sperm production, muscle mass, and bone density. However, the testosterone level decreases in most men when they reach 25-30 years. So, males over 40 should take testosterone boosters. The decrease is caused by many factors like weight gain and obesity and lack of sleep. Fortunately, many testosterone boosters can help you preserve your manliness. We have prepared a guide on how you can utilize testosterone boosters to reap their many benefits.
- Best Time to Take Testosterone Boosters. It is recommended to check the booster’s packaging as to when you should take it to obtain full benefits. However, most products recommend taking testosterone boosters first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. It is also advisable to consult with your doctor before taking any testosterone boosters. You should also develop a cycle as to when to take the product. If you use it for three to four weeks, give your body a break of up to two weeks. This prevents your body from becoming used to the booster and dependent on it. Also, testosterone boosters should not be used by teenagers or individuals diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.
- How do Testosterone Boosters Work? Testosterone boosters contain several ingredients that have been clinically proven to assist in boosting testosterone. However, they may also contain ingredients with limited research but are shown to reduce cortisol (the stress hormone that disrupts testosterone production or benefits sleep. Testosterone boosters have a long jack, Tribulus Terrestris, Fenugreek, Shilajit, D-aspartic Acid, and ZMA. ZMA contains a combination of Zinc, Vitamin B6, and Magnesium. These elements are desirable for increasing your testosterone. ZMA can also boost the quality of sleep. Adequate sleep is beneficial for increasing many hormones like testosterone.
- Dosing. The dosing is different for everyone. So, ensure you follow your doctor’s orders or the directions on the label. The information on the label contains the average doses of the medicine. However, if your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you. The dosage depends on the strength of the supplement. If you miss your dose, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed one and go to your regular schedule. Never double dose. Ensure that you store the dose in a closed container at room temperature and away from children. Also, ask your doctor how to dispose of any unused medicine. Do not keep outdated or any medication you no longer need.
- Role of Estrogen. Estrogen is a booster that can increase your testosterone. High testosterone levels also correlate to low testosterone. Elevated estrogen levels can also cause many undesirable effects and diminished testosterone.
- Testosterone and Sex Drive. Testosterone boosters can improve your sex drive and energy level, making it easier to maintain an erection. However, medical professionals recommend using boosters only if your T-levels are low. Boosting your testosterone levels excessively can cause unwanted side effects like shrinking testicles and low sperm count. If you struggle to get aroused or maintain an erection, do not assume you have low testosterone levels. Factors like alcohol and stress can also lead to struggles with low libido. So, speak to your doctor to determine the problem.
- Side Effects. Before taking any supplements, ensure you determine whether low testosterone is the root cause of your symptoms. Taking something you do not need could cause irreversible issues. Also, you should go for regular blood monitoring to ensure you take the correct dosage. The primary side effect is that testosterone can shut off your natural production and permanently lower your sperm count. You may also have acne, male pattern baldness, and mood swings. So, always check with your doctor before taking any boosters to avoid these side effects.
- Effectiveness. Testosterone boosters are effective in treating low testosterone. However, they are not always effective in addressing the underlying issues. Research shows that testosterone treatment leads to moderate improvements in sexual function, bone density, and red blood cell count. The study also showed that testosterone improves mood and depressive symptoms.
Remember that testosterone boosters will not help you with elevated cortisol levels. Most men fail to realize the relationship between circulating cortisol and testosterone. So, take a holistic view before spending your money on boosters. Also, consider other natural ways to increase your testosterone, like going to bed early and exercising.