Mega Millions and EuroMillions are two of the biggest lottery companies worldwide, offering some of the best odds, highest jackpots, lowest lottery tickets cost, and boasting some of the highest-paid out jackpots in lottery history. If you are a new or experienced player thinking about Mega Millions VS EuroMillions, which is the better? This article provides expert analysis and detailed information on Mega Millions VS EuroMillions.
The US and Europe hold the records for the largest jackpots in lottery history. Thanks to these lotteries, lucky winners have become multi-millionaires overnight, as happened to the Gloucester couple who scooped £184m and are now richer than Adele.
Despite the differences in their lottery policies, one thing in common is that there are life-changing prize amounts. Just before we get into Mega Millions VS EuroMillions, If you are wondering how the US and Europe differ in terms of lotteries, then keep reading.
How The US And Europe Differ When It Comes To Lotteries.
The US Lotteries
Unlike European lotteries, US lotteries are offered in 48 states, and some other states have not yet legalized lotteries yet, which can change anytime soon. Gambling policies differ between states, and players must comply with the state lottery policies. The legal age of admission to play in any US lottery is 18, and the lottery tickets can be purchased even if you’re not a resident or native of the state.
With the advances in technology, players can play US lotteries from the comfort of their homes anywhere in the world, and players who are non-citizens of the US can play and stand a chance to win the jackpots. However, the lottery rules of each state are binding on online players in whichever state they choose to play from.
The anonymity of winners is not allowed in some states of the US, and some other states have policies on what percentage of winnings are deducted as tax and how the prize money is paid to the winner. The good news is that whether you are a citizen of the US or not, you can play US lotteries and stand a chance to win the star prize. In the US, you will find the Powerball and Mega Millions lotteries to play.
The European Lotteries
The modus operandi of European lotteries is slightly different from the US lotteries. European lotteries such as EuroMillions, founded in 2004 by some European countries, are controlled by the different national lottery policies of each country. Any citizen of the countries participating in EuroMillions can purchase tickets and play, but this is subject to reaching the legal gambling age for each country.
The national lottery policies of some European countries differ. For example, in Switzerland, Portugal, and Spain, all player winnings are subject to tax deductions, but the other countries do not deduct taxes from winnings. Lotteries operated by several European countries include EuroMillions, EuroJackpot, and Vikinglotto.
Mega Millions VS EuroMillions: History
The Mega Millions lottery was founded in 1999 with 45 US states as pioneers, and three states (Washington, Texas, and California) subsequently joined the Mega Millions lottery in 2002, 2003, and 2005, respectively. Mega Millions lottery draws are held on Tuesdays and Fridays in Atlanta and Georgia at 11:00 pm.
The EuroMillions lottery was founded in February 2004, with three countries (UK, Spain, and France) as pioneers. In October 2004, six other countries (Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Ireland) joined the lottery. EuroMillions lottery draws are held on Tuesdays and Fridays in Paris at 8:45 pm CET.
Mega Millions VS EuroMillions: How To Play The Games
To play Mega Millions from India, you have to choose different numbers under two categories. In the first category, which is considered the main one, five numbers are selected from 1 to 70. The numbers can be mixed, matching or randomly selected. If the selected numbers are ordered correctly, $1 million is won, although this is not the jackpot. The second category, Mega ball, involves the selection of two numbers from 1 to 25, which is considered the jackpot number.
Suppose that the five numbers selected from the first category are correctly sorted, and the two numbers selected from the Mega ball category are correctly sorted. In that case, Mega Millions jackpot is yours! The option of “Just the Jackpot” is available in some states where you enter to win the jackpot, and the quick pick option allows random numbers to be selected for you.
The EuroMillions game is played by choosing five numbers from two categories, like the Mega Millions lottery. In the first category, five numbers are selected from 1 to 50, and in the second category, known as Lucky stars, two numbers are selected from 1 to 12, which are the jackpot winning numbers.
To win the total prize in EuroMillions, the five numbers selected in the first category and the two numbers selected in the Lucky stars category must appear correctly when the draw is made. Unlike the Mega Millions, the EuroMillions have a smaller range of numbers to select from (1-50). This gives players more chances to win.
Mega Millions VS EuroMillions: Winning Statistics
- The odds of winning the Mega Millions star prize are 1: 258,890,850. This may be very high, but there is no way of knowing if you will be the next lucky winner of the Mega Millions star prize.
- The biggest win in the Mega Millions remains $1.537 billion. This record was set in 2018. The payout, in the end, fell short of the amount due to tax deductions, although winning millions of dollars can turn anyone’s life around.
- The minimum jackpot at Mega Millions as of May 2022 is $40 million.
- The biggest EuroMillions win until May 2022 is a record £185 million in October 2021, the winner of which came from France, and the second biggest EuroMillions win is the recent record £184 million set from the UK in May 2022.
- The odds of winning the EuroMillions jackpot are 1:139,838,160.
- The minimum EuroMillions jackpot from May 2022 is €17 million.
Mega Millions VS EuroMillions: Pros And Cons
- Low ticket cost ($2).
- It is open to all players from countries where gambling is legal.
- There is no maximum number of players.
- Mega Millions offers a flexible payment plan that helps you control the spending of your winnings.
- The jackpot prize always increases as more players enter the lottery.
- Higher jackpot-winning amount of $40 million.
- There are taxes on winnings.
- Very little chance of winning.
- Some prize tier categories are equal to or less than $10, which means you may end up with $10 or less after picking the right numbers.
- Higher range of numbers to select from (1 to 70).
- Higher odds of winning than Mega Millions because fewer people play.
- Lower number range to select from (1 to 50).
- Tickets have a low cost of 2.50 euros.
- There is no income tax, except in some countries (Switzerland, Spain and Portugal).
- Lower jackpot-winning amount of €17 million.
- Tickets are more expensive compared to Mega Millions.
- EuroMillions prizes do not exceed 190 million euros.
Final ThoughtsThe Lottery offers an incredible opportunity to win life-changing sums of money, but it requires gambling responsibly. For all lottery players confused about Mega Millions VS EuroMillions, here is all the necessary information analysis you need to guide your decision in making a better choice between Mega Millions and EuroMillions.