Crypto has been around since 2009. Bitcoin was the first one ever to exist, and owing to its magnificent popularity over the years, it is often confused with the very idea of cryptocurrencies at large. Just as a traditional wallet stores fiat currency, a crypto wallet stores cryptocurrency. This article will discuss what a crypto paper wallet is and how you can make it.
Majorly, crypto wallets are classified into two types – Hot wallets and cold wallets. Hot wallets are those which, to access them, you would need an active internet connection. On the contrary, cold wallets are like dormant storage that is only accessible through offline modes. A paper wallet is a cold wallet, and while hot wallets are more user-friendly, cold wallets act as vaults fit for small, daily transactions.
How does it work?
A pair of public and private keys are sufficient for you to deal in crypto. When both of them are written down on paper or printed from a wallet generator website, it is a paper wallet. In any wallet, there are two significant sets of information:
- Public key or your bitcoin address
- Private key or your secret password for the bitcoin wallet.
In paper wallets, the public key is usually on the left side of the paper wallet (if printed), and the private key is on the right. Both of them are in the form of a unique string of characters as well as QR codes. Using the public key, you or anyone else who has it can send cryptocurrency as many times as they want. However, you will only have access to that currency using the private key with which you can transfer the funds to a software wallet to hoard or even trade in crypto. To know more, you can see bitcoin investing.
You can create paper wallets using a wallet generator. Here are the names of the three most popular Bitcoin paper wallet generators:
- Mycelium Entropy (This website generates highly secured paper wallets).
Making a paper wallet in 5 simple steps:
- First things first, you have to visit your preferred generator site. Experts always advise installing robust anti-virus solutions before you begin the entire process. This is because you must take enough precautions to keep all information secure.
- Once you are on the home page, you are ready to create your Bitcoin address. All you have to do is move your cursor around the screen to generate a random string of letters and numbers until the progress bar reaches 100%. There is also a text box on that same page where you can manually create your Bitcoin address.
- Once you have reached 100%, the next step is to choose what type of wallet you are looking to initiate. You can choose from a single wallet, paper wallet, bulk wallet, vanity wallet, etc. In this case, you select a paper wallet.
- A digital version of your paper wallet will be visible along with both your private and public keys. You can choose further options like artwork hiding private keys, BIP38 encryption, or more addresses for better security.
- Once all of it is done, you have to click on the print button. Make sure that you do not forget to delete your digital files and clear the cache history. Your paper wallet is ready.
You can gift someone a paper wallet with a bit of money in it, just for fun. The entire process is also like baby steps to understanding crypto transactions. You can even use it to complete an offline transaction as the recipient would have everything in that piece of paper to gain control over that money.
Paper wallets have various use cases, but you must preserve the private key properly. If you lose the private key, you lose all the assets in your paper wallet.