Published on: 24/Nov/2020
Indian gaming started back in the 1970s when multiple Indian tribes created Bingo operations in order to raise the revenue for tribal government operations. While many things have changed ever since, the appreciation for some games of chance has not.
Therefore, we have put together four of the most beloved Indian games. Read on to discover them!
- Andar Bahar
Andar Bahar is one of the most popular Indian games, known to have originated in Bengaluru (Bangalore) in the southern state of Karnataka.
Also known in Tamil as Mangatha or Ullae Veliyae, the game is based on a standard 52-card pack.
Before you start betting, the dealer shuffles the cards, cuts the deck, and reveals one card as the ‘Joker’.
There are two betting sides, named ‘Andar’ and ‘Bahar’. If you guess correctly the side that the Joker card comes from, you win the bet.
The game begins when the Joker is revealed. You can wager the First Bet on either Andar or Bahar. Keep in mind that cards are dealt on Bahar first, then on Andar.
In case your first card dealt on Bahar is the Joker, all of your bets will be paid 25% of your wager, and Andar will lose.
Yet, if the Joker is the first card for Andar, then all the wagers on Andar will be paid even money and Bahar will lose.
When one card is drawn from each side and the Joker was not exposed, the dealer will declare the Second Bet open for wagers. You now have the option to place the 2nd Bet.
Provided that your first card of the second Bahar wager is the Joker, all Bahar second bets will be remunerated 25% of your stake, and the 1st Bahar bet will be paid evenly.
- Teen Patti
Teen Patti, or ‘Three Cards’ in English, has its origins in the Indian subcontinent, having influences from Poker.
Part of the well-known Indian games, Teen Patti is played with a standard 52-card pack, without the Jokers. The objective is to have the best 3-card hand and to maximize the prize pool before the showdown.
Rules of play
To start, a minimum amount to be staked is collected from the players, also known as the ‘Boot’. The cash is placed in the center of the table and it will grow as the game continues.
Each player receives 3 cards. When their turn comes, they can play:
- ‘Seen’ – See their cards;
- ‘Blind’ – Keep the cards face-down.
From highest to lowest, the card hands’ ranking is:t
- Three of a kind / Trail – 3 cards of the same rank. AAA is considered the best hand.
- Straight Flush / Pure Sequence – 3 consecutive cards of identical suit.
- Straight / Sequence – 3 consecutive cards that are not in the same suit.
- Flush / Color – A flush of 3 cards within the same suit. The highest card wins in case of a draw.
- Two of a kind / Pair – 2 cards of identical rank. In the event of a draw, the highest-ranking third card will indicate the winner.
- High Card – When neither the player nor the dealer has a pair, the hand with the highest card wins.
3. Sic Bo
Sic Bo, also known as Dai Siu, Tai Sai, Big and Small, or Hi-lo is a widely-played Asian game in online casinos, that involves staking on the roll of the dice.
It is solely a game of chance and translates as “precious dice”.
- Every Sic Bo table has two dealers that monitor the bets and exchange chips.
- Players use 3 dice and bet on the outcome of each roll. Different from Craps, the Sic Bo dice are rolled in an electronic dice shaker.
- The game table provides players with a wide range of dice combinations to bet on. Each possible wager and its associated payout odds are exemplified on it.
- The electronic board also shows the results of the recent play rounds. Every roll is completely random and independent of the last one.
4. Jhandi Munda
Jhandi Munda is said to have originated in the North-East of India, being played to this date in the streets.
The game’s board is a simple tabletop divided into 6 parts, having symbols drawn on each of its sections.
The six symbols are:
Similarly, there are 6 dice with the exact symbols.
In each round, the dealer determines the winner by throwing all dice, while the players place bets on the section of the board with their chosen sign.
Chess is a game that requires a lot of mental and physical ability. It is also one of the most complicated games to learn and master. Visit https://www.chessable.com/chess-openings to find out more about chess game.
Sports and games have always been a fundamental piece of India’s rich history and culture. Due to this and the thrill provided, Indian games of chance are highly appreciated, whether it’s cards or dice.